Topic: balancing

hi guys looking for someone who has experience in balancing conrods and pistons for my new 2332 stroker im building

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: balancing

The job is relatively simple to do with a dremmel and set of jewelers scales. Fran has just balanced a set of pistons. We are yet to balance conrods but will be practising on a scrap set pretty soon.

If you are looking to get them professionally done, the JMR or see if Robert Parry can do them.

When do you want to have them done by as I'm free this weekend?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hi H-G any help gratefully received can pop over sat for a chat, already spoken to Robert about flycutting my heads to lower the cc I know he's busy till mid march.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sunday would be better as I've just been reminded that I'm in Cambridge on Sat. How does that work for you?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

unfortunately got a family do on sunday can probably do the sat after off to dubfreeze on the sunday

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thought i'd start looking at balancing the pistons so took pins out rings off and weighed them.

piston              pin            rings

1:  391.4            134.8          38.4
2:  390.2            134.8          38.5
3:  392.8            134.9          38.5
4:  392.3            134.9          38.5

so I use no 2 as base weight and try to get the others to match simples  Grin

now I've been watching YouTube been reading articles and as with all things they contradict each other  Huh
I will be using a Drimel
where do I take the material from some say above the wrist pin area and some say from under the crown

Got a old piston to practice on

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Best you weigh the wrist pins, AND the retainers.  I found quite a difference in the wrist pins which you can use to off-set the difference in weight of the pistons as they operate as a unit so put the heaviest pins with the lightest piston and rings and see how they balance out, you'll find the differences reduce.  The pin retainers, while small, can add or loose several grams.  I use tru-arc retainers which come in about 3 grams lighter than VW originals.
You will usually find there is a lump of material on the wrist pin mount which can be reduced/removed to balance the pistons.  After that there are casting lines that can go.

Aim to please, but shoot to kill.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/franmac1/scan0025-cropsmall_zps9b343323.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thx rusty i'll try the retainers but the wrist pins 2 were 134.8 and 2 were 134.9 so not much in it

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mornign BoaB.  Top tip from RD.

From your response can I assume that you have a set of scales already?

If you can get over early this Saturday then I have until 1:30 pm to work on pistons etc as we are out late afternoon early evening rather than for the day as I had first thought.

Will work on the following Saturday to see what we can sort fo rthat as well but I have a full house for 1/2 term, it's valentines day and I am out all day on the Sunday at Dubfreeze.

There is a group of us (currently RD, H-G and possibly Murph) heading over to Dubfreeze on Sunday so may see you over there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

- Are you intending to use teflon buttons? If so, these also need to be included in the process. 

- Have you included the gudgeon pin retaining circlips? If not these also need to be included. 

- Have you cleaned  (and I mean rings out, all the grooves nooks and crannies cliniclally spotless type cleaned) before weighing? If not you MUST do this before taking your intial weights.

To save some, albeit a small amount, of grinding, then put the two heavy gudgeon pins with the two lightest pistons; likewise lightest rings (line 1) on the heaviest piston (line 3).

It's the gross weight that matters rather than individual items and by swaping bits around, you can save a fair bit of grinding.

As for where the material comes from, there should be a couple of 'pads' underneath the crown that are to allow the fine balancing.

Are you around on Sat morning to pop on over?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

been advised not to use the Teflon buttons so at the mo only got the ones that come in the box better order some new ones before I carry on have never trusted to ones they come with
have always used Teflon in the past but apparently not good on a engine of this size and power

got some scales off fleabay but don't seem to be that accurate

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have tom Y that I seen mixed feedback about Teflon buttons.  Have to say that the two areas I seem to go back to, don't mention them so I don't think I'll be going in that direction.  Before you balance, you need to have everything that will be making up the piston assembly so i suggest t hat you wait until you have all of the parts.  In thee mean time, you soda that you have a scrap piston? Is this the same make and size as the new ones you want to balance? If so then have a go at balancing it to match one of the new ones.

The offer is still open to pop over on Sat morning if you want. PMd you earlier btw.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hadn't seen the pm have now one of the old piston is scored from the damaged cylinder so thought I could practice on that one

can pop over sat for a chat

need to decide  tru arc or spiral lock retainers

Thumbs up Thumbs down