Topic: jacking points

hi there I need to replace the speedo cable, sounds easy enough but I just cant get the trolley jack under the front end to raise the passenger front tyre as needed, my beetle has been lowered by previous owner and im not sure as where it is safe to raise the Haynes manual is useless any one can help ?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: jacking points

The trials of a lowered bug.

Have you got an old school scissor jack you can use and then place a couple of axle stands under the beam while you're working on the car?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Drive it up on to a house brick, this should give you enough clearance to get a trolley jack under the front beam than support as HG said.  Bear in mind you may need some work space behind the front nearside wheel so don't put the axle stand too close to it.

Aim to please, but shoot to kill.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/franmac1/scan0025-cropsmall_zps9b343323.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or if you have space on the road, run the near side wheels onto the kerb.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for all your replies, I have changed the speedo wire but unfortunately it broke again I think that now that it is the speedo that is broken I did hear a noise like a wire braking last week and the car over, I noticed that the speedo not working now in a panic as the dreaded mot is due in 2 weeks , I'm looking for a breaker to get a replacement speedo any ideas I'm based in Dagenham, Essex, as quite new to the vw world don't have many contacts yet

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First thing is to check the speedo.

Remove it and, with the car jacked up get someone to spin the wheel and see if the cable centre is turning at the speedo end. If not, the cable is either not fitted in at the wheel end or has broken.

If it does then test the speedo. You will need to find something that fits into the cable fitting at the back. Turn the speedo and see if the speedo moves. If it does then try refitting everything and making sure that the new cable is properly inserted.

If after all of this it's still not working then RD may have one in his 'stock'. Send him a PM.

Last edited by H-G (04-01-2016 22:20:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1st, make sure the new cable is seated right on the back of the speedo, 2nd, chack you replaced the 'C' clip on the end of the speedo cable properly where it comes through the front hub, it may well have slipped back.  If both are good, undo the cable from the back of the speedo and turn the inner square bit to see if it turns.  It will turn a little if OK but shouldn't turn freely, you can also try pulling the cable out with pliers.  If it does turn, or come out of the cable sleeve, then the cable is snapped.

If the cable is OK, hopefully you have your old snapped cable still available.  Cut a short length of the old cable inner from the speedo end and put it in an electric drill.  Then insert it into the back of the speedo and run the drill at low speed, have someone sit inside the car to see what the speedo does, it should act as if the car is being driven. 

If both are OK then reseat the cable and try again.

As you said your Bug is lowered, it may be that the kit used to lower the front is putting extra strain on the speedo cable and snapping it when you hit a bump or turn a corner.  We where recently looking at a fellow splitterz Ghia which had been lowered and had no cable fitted as you couldn't physically get the cable into the hub.

As for the MOT.  Unless the inspector takes your car for a road test they probably won't even notice the speedo isn't working. Could look suspicious if the mileage is the same as last years though ;-)

Aim to please, but shoot to kill.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/franmac1/scan0025-cropsmall_zps9b343323.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down