Topic: Advice on Brazilian/non-German Split Campers Sought

Hey all............

Have been thinking about these non-German built Splits on and off for a while now. I've heard various comments about them compared to the German or US imports such as poorer build quality and different mechanicals.

I currently own a 72 Bay.

Recently, I got very tempted at a very nice looking bus that needed nowt doing to it and I seem to recall the chap was asking around £14k. I was about to get my wallet out but then I got scared and chickened out. I've just seen another one - not so pretty but appears to be in sound condition for £10k.

I've read lots on various forums but I thought i'd open up a thread here, for any advice available and perhaps for the benefits of others in case they're thinking like me?? Or should I keep my Bay?

All comments welcomed!!!!  default/hello

1972 Bay - 2003 Bug - 1969 MGB GT - 1968 Dodge Charger - 1997 Jaguar XK8 - 1985 Mercedes 380SL - A Yellow everyday car and anything else I like the look of.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Advice on Brazilian/non-German Split Campers Sought

I like your bay.

Rosalie - T25 Westy Multivan
Rosa - Mk5 Golf Gti
default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a few of the Peru/Brazil Splits for sale starting at £7.5.  Had a look at one that was OK on the outside but both chassis rails had been bent up!

Aim to please, but shoot to kill.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/franmac1/scan0025-cropsmall_zps9b343323.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Be better with a US import. Not keen on these Brazilian made over due to build quality

www.finallap.net  F1 and Motorsport Memorabilia

Just make sure the one you're buying wasn't made by slaves default/big_smile

I am you club camping responsible adult for booking for Battlesbridge VW Show

SEND ME ALL YOUR MONIES default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks chaps.

Been doing some more reading and looking at various non-german/us splits - I'm beginning to find a common trend with these cheaper ones - a lot of then appear to have been tarted up (new paint but no interior) without much being done to the underneath (RD). I think I read somewhere that a lot of them were bodged over the years tin order to keep them on the road while back home in their original countries (Brazil, Peru etc.)

I'll see how it goes..............

1972 Bay - 2003 Bug - 1969 MGB GT - 1968 Dodge Charger - 1997 Jaguar XK8 - 1985 Mercedes 380SL - A Yellow everyday car and anything else I like the look of.

Thumbs up Thumbs down