Topic: Alternator bolt

Anyone got either an impact gun they could give my alternator a quick blast with to try and loosen this stubbern nut / a spanner with a small handle so i can get my alternator out

I spat a belt on saturday, easiest jobs always end up taking forever

Re: Alternator bolt

not sure what bolt your talking about but is it something you can heat up ?? i have a very large breaker bar and some scafolding you can borrow too ?

SPLITTERZ essex & cambridge

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The nut that holds the pulley on.

The scafolding sounds good but the thing is i've already bent one screw driver trying to hold the pulley still - might try heating it up but i don't want to damage the  motor

Tried soakin it in WD40 overnight then using an impact socket on it?

Yours,

The Wilkybarkid/Dibber/Dibs/Stu/Wilky etc etc

Does the fan now rub in the tinware?

I only ask this because:
My alt belt was too tight, it put too much pressure on the rear bearing in the alternator which them collapsed causing drag and this in turn ended up tightening up the nut in question to what sounds like where you're at.

Normally with alternator if you've locked the rear part of the pulley with something the front pulley nut should come off fairly easily.  If its overtight something must have happened to tighten it up that much.  I suggest removing the alternator completeley and checking it over first.

I am you club camping responsible adult for booking for Battlesbridge VW Show

SEND ME ALL YOUR MONIES default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i've had the opposite my belt was too slack thought it might come off soon but i've not been able to get the pulley off to remove any shims